Cooperation & Support to the Ecosystem
This category of activities refers to capacity building and advisory actions that are not related to projects, but which are intended for both public and private stakeholders working in the field of energy efficiency, whether in Morocco or abroad. These services consist in building on the experience and data acquired during the implementation of projects where SIE was a partner, in order to support the sectoral authorities in strengthening and developing measures for the promotion of projects and the emergence of a local energy efficiency sector. These activities can be divided into three major types of services :
- The dissemination of expertise at the national and international levels in the area of energy efficiency project management, based on the experience acquired by SIE (preparation, structuring and implementation of an EPC, standard contract models, etc.) ;
- Support for businesses (SMEs and ESCOs) and local professional federations working in the sector, to promote innovation and the emergence of local players (for example: popularization, advice on financing options (partnership with banks, financing and guarantee institutions, organizations that support SMEs, agreements with partners), sharing of know-how, technical capacity-building programs (staff and investors), co-development of pilot projects with local start-ups, promoting interactions among decision-makers, private ESCOs, financial institutions, and end-customers. Furthermore, the field of financial intermediation by SIE is to be considered in order to improve access to financing for local ESCOs and SMEs ;
- The provision of data on the outcomes of energy efficiency projects and their social and environmental impacts for the relevant authorities: recommendations on regulatory and institutional aspects of EE projects, compilation of data, monitoring of legal requirements, market studies.
In addition, SIE performs the role of a focal point for international financial institutions wishing to take part in Morocco's energy efficiency projects.
Lastly, SIE takes an active part in international cooperation between Morocco and its partners, especially in Africa. The Company offers its foreign counterparts or international contractors a whole range of services, including technical assistance, capacity building and feedback, to enhance the skills and expertise of the Moroccan ecosystem.
As a Super ESCO, SIE provides its partners with expertise and experience in order to leverage investments in the energy efficiency sector. In addition to technical considerations, SIE contributes its know-how in mobilizing financing with the aim of maximizing energy savings, and conducts the financial structuring of its projects according to an integrated approach, based on :
- Comprehensive assessment of the project's technical characteristics, focusing on the determination or identification of the most affordable technical solution to achieve the project objectives ;
- Financial analysis of the project, bringing into line the energy saving potential and the gains achieved on energy bills, investments needed, depreciation of installations and equipment, as well as the risks related to the project ;
- Identification of the most appropriate financing scheme for the project and its beneficiary.
Within the framework of its mission, SIE keeps working, in collaboration with its financial partners, to diversify the existing financing offer on the Energy Efficiency market, by setting up new levers and mechanisms for financing and guarantee. The objective is to promote access of the sector's stakeholders to financing, and achieve the successful completion of projects.
Support for Project Financing
The financing of an energy efficiency project can be achieved by :
- The clients themselves, from their own resources ;
- Funding from a lender ;
- An ESCO, as part of an energy performance contract (EPC).
SIE supports its partners in identifying the most appropriate financing solution for their projects. The Company makes use of its technical expertise and proven knowledge of the various financial mechanisms and instruments available on the market.
Depending on the nature of the project and its promoter, SIE may :
- Direct the promoter of a State-sponsored project, subject to some conditions, to funding agencies for the mobilization of loans to finance the relevant energy efficiency project ;
- Recommend project promoters to seek dedicated credit lines, taking into account the nature of the project, the risks and the eligibility criteria of the said credit lines ;
- Assist and support its clients, using its technical and financial expertise, in carrying out the financial and technical pre-analysis needed to assess the project feasibility.
Considering the royal guidelines aimed at strengthening the duty of public administrations to set the example in energy efficiency, SIE managed to establish many partnership frameworks for the implementation of energy efficiency measures in cooperation with many public institutions.
Recognizing the importance of carefully tailored financing solutions, according to the different types of projects and project promoters, SIE develops prospecting actions with several financial partners, such as donors, commercial banks, or again loan guarantee institutions for establishing appropriate credit and guarantee lines to the benefit of energy efficiency projects falling within its mandate.
The private financial sector is also approached to determine its appetite and its financial competitiveness for similar purposes. The ultimate goal is to provide energy efficiency players with access to optimal financing solutions whenever this is required by a project.